Documentation/response

Standard

At first, the idea was to exploit the possibility of optical illusions using projection mapping techniques; however, I quickly realized this was not feasible for a someone who is new to this. I was inspired by various youtube videos I’d seen which combine music with projection-mapped objects.  I knew I had to make this interactive, so my mind automatically went to interactive “playable” musical blocks.  At first, I planned to use generic-sounding voices and faces. However, failure to come up with good sound clips led me to the idea of personalizing each block with individual faces and voices. Asking for people from this school to get involved definitely adds a community aspect to the work, as mentioned during critique. Overall, I am happy with the way it turned out, but there are a few things I would do differently. First, I would’ve emphasized the detail on the faces so that they would show up better on the projections. The design looks so much more detailed and “fleshed out” on my computer screen than on the blocks. Secondly, I would’ve put more thought into my interface so that I didn’t end up with such a tacky-looking display. As I mentioned before, I’m not sure what my ideal interface would look like; I toyed with the idea of having 3D objects that people can touch to correspond with the blocks. (like having mini versions of the blocks made out of clay so that it would conduct electricity as needed). I think the interface was more of an afterthought for me because I was busy trying to make a project that works the way it’s supposed to.  Also, in the future I might want to try more diverse animations–maybe bits of speech or extending the animation to the designs on each block.  The challenges I faced include trying to decide between illusion and uncannyness, if that’s a word.  I wanted to play a bit with making the faces seem as though they are jutting out of the blocks, or somehow breaking the 2D surface in a way that goes beyond mapping more than the front-facing sides. I also had to negotiate a lot little glitches, like Isadora moving my projection around. Luckily the zoom actor took care of that. Coordinating my participants was also difficult. Understandably, everyone was busy during this time, so people were hard to reach and get responses from; a few said they were interested and didn’t follow up, but that’s always going to happen.  I had some issues with a few of the recordings being of low quality because everybody records under different conditions, etc. I think the biggest challenge was trying to coordinate the blocks/columns because I knew that once they were mapped, their position couldn’t change. This involved putting blue tape on the floors so I knew where to position each block once they were moved, as well as where to place the projector. The tape got removed once, so I had to work around that and try to get it the way it was. It wasn’t the same, but it was close enough. I feel that I learned a lot from this project, and from the class in general. Isadora/makeymakey have opened up a new world to me, and I want to continue exploring the possibilities.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s